Thursday 6 November 2014

Crochet hook handles

This winter I lost my scrapbooking mojo. But I found a love for crochet. I have taught myself watching you tube tutorials.  I have always wanted to learn. However being left handed I was impossible to find someone who was patient enough to reach me.

Over the cooler months I managed to complete 3 lap blankets, a couple of beanies, a pair of wrist warmers and a scarf.  Today I completed a beautiful chevron pram sized blanket for my oldest friends sister. (Its in the wash I type).

My biggest challenge with learning to crochet has been the extreme pain I suffer in my hands. I have a strong suspicion its arthritis (however I am too busy/lazy to pursue a diagnosis). I have seen some beautiful crochet hooks with wooden hand turned handles, they do however come with a price tag. I found some ideas to create my thicker handles using polymer clay. I wanted a multi coloured effect but didn't feel it was nessicary to buy (and have leftovers sitting in my craft stash).  Then yesterday while wandering through Kmart I found a day snow globe kit with polymer clay in it 4x2 inch squares of colour for $8. WINNING!

Needless to say it came home with me. I'm really happy with how they turned out I only did 4 of my hooks to see chow they went. All I did was roll out the colours into "snakes" like you would with playdough and twist them all together. Flattened it out and wrapped it around the hook. I ran a knife around the end the hook to create a pattern and bakes them at 130°c for 30 minutes.  I left them on the tray tool and voilà... Beautiful crochet hooks with handles.

No comments:

Post a Comment