Sunday 16 November 2014

Christmas Mugs

This year I am endeavouring to make as many presents as possible. Who am I kidding every year I start out with the best of intentions usually falling in a heap by the start of December.

So yesterday I sat down with the kids and we made a start. We got going on personalised Christmas mugs for the great grand parents. We will fill them with chocolate and wrap them in cellophane.

Do you want to make your own? Here's what we did.

What you'll need

jo sonjas folk art acrylic paints
plain white coffee cups (we got ours from kmart for $1 each)
a fine paint brush
a paint pallet
some cotton buds
and extra helpers (this works well if you helpers have good listening ears)

I started by painting the recipient's names on the mugs and circling them.

Then my helpers joined me. I squeezed out one colour at a time and we started dotting with the cotton buds. when you are happy with the coverage leave it to dry for a couple of minutes and move onto your next colour.

Once you are happy with the result let it air dry for half an hour (mine sat for about 3 hours but I got distracted with dinner prep)

preheat your oven to 180°c and place the mugs in there on a tray for half an hour. pull the out and let them cool completely.

give them a wash in warm soapy water.

The important stuff

do not use a scourer to wash them.
gentle hand wash only.
have a grown up do the oven part.

This was a really fun activity. that kept the kids entertained for a couple of hours (we made 6 mugs) with a lovely result. The perfectionist in me twitched a little at the imperfections in the cups. but as this is a gift from the kids to their great grandparents I embraced it.

GO ON HAVE SOME FUN WITH IT!!!

1 comment: